What is Kafrit PEX?
First developed in the 1930s in Europe and introduced to North America in the 1980s, PEX for pipes and cable systems is established worldwide in the industrial, mining, and oil and gas sectors, and is rapidly gaining market share in the residential and commercial sectors as the material of choice for heating, plumbing and power cables.
PEX is the common name for cross-linked high-density polyethylene a highly inert, flexible thermo-elastic polymer. It is a cost-effective, high performance replacement for PVC/CPVC or metal in pipes and other fabricated products, and is compatible for use with existing metal or PVC/CPVC pipe or cable systems.
PEX is formed into pipe and tubing and which is sold in coils or straight lengths, can be colour-coded for easier identification, and ranges from standard 1/4″ to 4″ diameter and other custom sizes. PEX tubing is installed with mechanical or compression fittings. Designed for interior, buried, and some outdoor applications, additives give PEX tubing different colours and enhanced properties, such as UV, metal, static, flame or impact resistance.
Kafrit PEX Products
- TA 1108 HD – Cross-linkable Polyethylene Compound
- TA 1117 HD – Cross-linkable High Density Polyethylene Compound
- TA 2410 CL – Red Catalyst Masterbatch
- TA 2411 CL – Blue Catalyst Masterbatch
- TA 2412 CL – White Catalyst Masterbatch
- TA 2417 CL – Black Catalyst for Multilayer and Monolayer
- TA 2418 CL – Red Catalyst for Multilayer
- TA 2419 CL – White Catalyst for Multilayer
- TA 2420 CL – Natural Catalyst Masterbatch
- TA 2613 CL – Black Catalyst Masterbatch
- TA 2410 CX – Red Catalyst Masterbatch
How is PEX made?
Kafrit NA Ltd. uses the Silane or “moisture cure” method to manufacture PEX. This process grafts a reactive silane molecule to the branches of the polyethylene. This grafted compound is blended with a catalyst using the Sioplas method.
After extrusion, the tubing is exposed to either steam or hot water to induce the final cross-linking reaction, resulting in a PEX product classified as PEX-B, (PE-Xb, or PEXb). The unique benefit offered by Silane crosslinking technology is its ability to trigger the crosslinking at the desired time to produce different properties in the finished product.
- Wide range of residential, commercial, industrial and mining, oil and gas applications cost effective, with minimal investment needed.
- Can be reinforced with additive masterbatches.
- Can be used to create multilayered products with the Kafrit NA Ltd. Tabond adhesive promoter.